Originally incorporated as the Church of Spiritual Light under the leadership of Reverend Ernest Evans in 1920, we are the second oldest spiritualist church in Michigan. In 1947 we moved from our original location on Detroit Street in Flint to Davison and into the home of Nelson and Reverend Bertha Knapp. Nelson donated land next to his home on Atherton Road for the church, which was completed in April of 1956. In May of 1956 a tornado swept through the area and demolished most of the structure. Nelson financed the rebuilding of the church.
In 1964 the Church changed it's name from the Church of Spiritual Light to the Wayside Church of the New Age. Nelson financed the addition we now call Harmony Hall. In 1974 the church again changed names to the Wayside Spiritualist Church, finally in 1985 the the name was changed to the present name of First Metaphysical Church.
In 1998 the church was restructured and rededicated. Since then we have made many updates and improvements.